Page Group Page Community
ISTE Denver is Over and School is Right Around the Corner!
Listed below are some other great events coming up:
HSTE Board Member Positions - Seeking Nominations for a 2017-2019 term! Are you interested in becoming more involved in an educational organization serving the whole state? Serving on the HSTE Board can be a very rewarding position as you help to bring educational ideas and opportunities to the state. HSTE is involved in many different projects including: the Hawaii Educational Leadership Summit, the Schools of the Future Conference, and other collaborative events. As the only Hawaii ISTE affiliate, HSTE works to share information and attend the conference every year. We are seeking nominations for a three-year term on the board. Every year, we have five openings for positions. If you are interested in nominating yourself for the board, please fill out this form. Last day for nominations is September 15th. If you would like more information about the board, please contact Mike Travis at email@example.com. Thank you.
Making IT Happen award - Seeking Nominations for 2016! The Making IT Happen award honors outstanding educators and leaders who demonstrate extraordinary commitment, leadership, courage and persistence in improving digital learning opportunities for students. Since its inception in 1995 more than 500 educators from around the world have received the award. The spirit of the Making IT Happen award supports our vision of a world in which all learners thrive, achieve and contribute. Nominations are due by September 12th. Click here to learn more about this award and to nominate a colleague.
Professional development opportunities throughout Hawai'i:
There are already many professional development opportunities lined up for 2015. For a complete list, go to the events page. HSTE wants to share your event so that all educators have a "one-stop" place to see all the PD around the islands, if you have an event you want to share, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add it for free!
- iTeach808 - Empowering Hawaii Teachers in Technology (September 10th) at Sacred Hearts Academy. Alan November will conduct a videoconference keynote this year as well. More information at http://iteach808.blogspot.com/ and registration is live and going fast!
- Hawaii Association of School Psychologist Annual Meeting (October 17th-19th) - for more information and to register, click here.
- Fourth Annual Hawaii Education Leadership Summit (October 19th) - hosted by HSTE, this event for leaders of schools to meet and discuss transformative ideas in schools. More details coming soon.
Eighth Annual Schools of the Future Conference (October 20th-21st) - the premier education conference in Hawaii with over 1,300 participants attending each year. You can find out more about the conference here. Look for more details coming soon about HSTE events at the conference:
- HSTE Bookstore in Exhibit Hall
- HSTE All-Member Meet and Greet event
- HSTE Board Member presentations at the event
- Fourth Annual EdCamp Honolulu (October 22nd) - EdCamps are "UNconference" events that are free, participant-driven professional development events where the attendees set the schedule and lead the sessions. More information coming soon at this website.
- First Annual leading Schools of the Future Conference (April 6-8, 2017) - The Schools of the Future Initiative (SOTF) has transformed teaching and learning environments, impacting hundreds - if not thousands - of classroom teachers and students statewide, in Hawai'i's private, public, charter and parochial schools. The Leading Schools of the Future Conference is being developed to compliment the SOTF Conference, as a means of meeting the needs of school leadership, as they work towards guiding best practices in 21st century learning environments. The audience for the LSOTF Conference will be heads of school, trustees, development directors, business & HR managers, communication directors, admissions directors, facilities managers, athletic directors, and other school leadership. With the guidance of a visionary Advisory Committee, the first annual Leading Schools of the Future Conference will be innovative, interactive and strategic, as teams collaborate on "reconstructing this place we call school." Click here for more details and to register.
Educator Spotlight: Greg Kent on Design Thinking - Greg is a Technology Coordinator at Kailua Elementary and he has some great advice on the Design Thinking process with students ... read more
Do you have something to share about what is going on at your school? If so, email us the information and a link and we will add it to this new section. Please share the great things that are happening at the schools!
HSTE is looking for student volunteers to be room monitors at the Schools of the Future Conference in October. We would need a group of 20-25 high school students with a teacher chaperone or two. Student volunteers will be able to attend the event for free for the day. Student room monitors will be available to help presenters with any technology support and to answer any questions. Students will also need to do a room count during the session. Each day there are three sessions to attend, so it will be a full day of work. This might be a great opportunity for a technology group or a group that needs volunteer hours. If you are interested, please contact Mike Travis at email@example.com.
If you need help with an event, please email us and we can the information here.
Call for Proposals:
If you have a conference coming up, please email us and we will add it to the newsletter.
Survey and Research:
If you have surveys or research you are conducting and need volunteers, please email us and we will add it to the newsletter.
Educational Tech Field Openings:
If you have any openings at your school in educational technology, please email us and we will add it to the newsletter.
- If you are looking for openings in education, these two resources might help:
- Hawaii Association of Independent Schools Job Board - click here
- Hawaii Department of Education Job Board - click here
Information Technology Specialist, community focused non-profit: The position reports to the Chief Innovation Officer and ensures that the necessary information systems support is provided and maintained for all agency users. Responds proactively to the needs of staff with the goal of facilitating their work with beneficiaries, families and communities. Project Management experience highly desirable. Company changing from PCs to MACs. Training background also desirable.
Contact: Mimi Beams, Inkinen & Associates, firstname.lastname@example.org, (808) 380-4175
Ongoing Events to connect with other:
For a complete list, go to this page. If you have an event you want to share, please email the information to email@example.com and we will add to the list.
- Please join us for the next educational Twitter Chat, #edchatHI. A Twitter Chat is an hour long discussion that takes place on Twitter. Participants use and follow the hashtag, #edchatHI. The goal of this Twitter chat is to bring individuals living in or from Hawaii together to discuss important and relevant issues related to education at all levels (Pre-K through College). #edchatHI takes place on the first Monday of every month at 7PM HST.
- GEG (Google Educators Group) Hawaii Google+ Community - Join the thriving Google+ Community of more than 1,700+ members. Share your resources, ideas, and lesson activities, and ask questions!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email anytime.