Are you headed to ISTE next week??
Please go to our special page "ISTE 2014 - Atlanta
" that has a list of events you might want to attend! HSTE will be hosting a Birds of a Feather event on Monday, June 30th from 5:30 - 6:45PM. After the session, we will be hosting a HSTE/ASTE Meet and Greet at Alma Cocina Restaurant (click here to see the flyer and to RSVP)
. Even if you can't attend the Birds of a Feather Event, please join us for free appetizers! We are hoping to have a few surprise guests speaking at the event as well! There is also a free breakfast opportunity for Hawaii and Alaska ISTE members on Tuesday, July 1st from MyOn.
More information on the ISTE 2014 - Atlanta page
The 6th Annual Schools of the Future Conference at the Hawaii Convention Center is open to all public, private, parochial and charter school educators, as well as parents and students, and business and community members, with an expected attendance of 1,200 to 1,500 educators. More than 80 presentations by keynote speakers, featured speakers and classroom teachers will share best practices over the two days of the conference. It might seem like a long way off, but the 2014 Schools of the Future Conference is right around the corner (Nov. 6/7). You can register to attend here. For those of you who submitted a proposal to speak, the committee will notify you by mid-April.
- Jane McGonigal - author of the New York Times bestseller Reality is Broken and Ted talk speaker.
- Dr. Milton Chen - Senior Fellow, The George Lucas Educational Foundation
The SOTF Conference is just one piece in the HSTE "Tech" Week puzzle! There are events planned for the whole week and more news coming soon. To see the latest, click on this link.
Mike Travis, HSTE President, offers his thoughts and suggestions about ISTE for people attending and those who cannot ... read more ...
Are you headed to ISTE in Atlanta next week? If so, click on the navigation link "ISTE 2014 - Atlanta" to check out the HSTE related events you are invited to!
- The HSTE Kaua’i Group is pleased to announce the receipt of a one year $40,000 grant to nurture leaders in educational technology on Kaua’i. Jessica Kerber, Hanalei School Technology Coordinator and Lisa Mireles, HSTE Board Member worked with HSTE Kaua’i members to develop and submit a two year proposal to the Hale Uluwehi Charitable Fund. Hale Uluwehi Charitable Fund has agreed to fund the first year of the proposal with a strong possibility for Year 2 renewal. Grant funding will be used to send HSTE Kaua’i teacher leaders and administrators to technology related conferences in Hawai’i and on the mainland. Interested participants must be HSTE members, supported by their principals and willing to share what they have learned at the conferences both back at their schools and with the HSTE Kaua’i Group. HSTE Kaua’i will also host free technology related professional development for teachers on Kaua’i during the 2014-2015 SY. Interested teachers and school leaders should contact Jessica Kerber at email@example.com or Lisa Mireles at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Click here to see the June Kaua'i Newsletter!
- HSTE has started a new page to list all the non-profit organizations in Hawaii that relate to education, technology, and educational technology. If you would like us to add your organization and link to this page, please email us.
- Other HSTE Opportunities Coming Soon:
- Meet and Greet at ISTE in Atlanta on June 30th (see ISTE page)
- Meet and Greet on Oahu in mid-August (more details soon)
- Making IT Happen Award - more news soon about this
- Looking for volunteers to help at the SOTF Conference
- Nominees to Join the HSTE Board in 2015
Upcoming Events on the Islands:
Summer is an exciting time for educational professional development, for a complete list, go to the events page. HSTE wants to share your event so that all educators have a "one-stop" place to see all PD around the islands, if you have an event you want to share, please email the information to email@example.com and we will add it for free!
- June 23 - 26 - Lab School Program for Educators - Punahou School - more information here.
- June 23 - July 3 - The Institute for Thematic Instruction - Hanahauoli School - more information here.
- July 24 - 31 - Global Education Teacher Strand - Punahou School - more information here.
- August 11 - 14 - New Perspectives on Teaching Mathematics - Punahou School - more info here
- November 5 - Hawaii Education Leadership Summit (HELS) - HSTE sponsored event - more information coming soon.
This is just a small sampling of all the great PD events coming up this summer in Hawaii! To see all of the events, click here. And, again, if you have an event on the islands to share with everyone, just email us and we will add it to the calendar (Coming soon our calendar will be in Google so you can subscribe to it!)
Calls for Research Participation:
Two HSTE Members are conducting research and are looking for your help.
HSTE Board Member Truc Nguyen is developing a research proposal to the National Endowment of the Humanities to look at digital citizenship in schools. If funded, the research study would support up to 20 school teachers and staff and 20 students to attend the Schools of the Future Conference for the next two years (2014 and 2015) if they take part in the research interviews and short essay writing. Do you think you might be interested in participating in something like this if it is funded? You can let her know at the Google Form Digital Citizenship Experiences here.
HSTE Member Diane Clayton is conducting research for her dissertation. I am a doctoral candidate seeking to interview five educators (preferably 6th to 9th grade public and private schools) about your experiences and perceptions on effective use and integration of educational technology. Specifically, the research is a qualitative study Examining Teacher Perceptions of Technology Integration to Bridge the Achievement Gap including the use of digital media to influence student engagement and motivation. If interested and/or for more information please contact Debra Clayton at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 808-286-5871. Thanking you in advance for your assistance with this dissertation research project.
Ongoing Events to connect with other:
For a complete list, go to this page. If you have an event you want to share, please email the information to email@example.com and we will add it.
- Please join the educational Twitter Chat, #edchatHI. A Twitter Chat is an hour long discussion that takes place on Twitter. Participants use and follow the hashtag, #edchatHI. The goal of this Twitter chat is to bring individuals living in or from Hawaii together to discuss important and relevant issues related to education at all levels (Pre-K through College). #edchatHI takes place on the first Monday of every month at 6PM HST.
- Google Rocks! - hosted by Linda Lindsay - weekly Google Hangouts on different topics on every Tuesday at 7PM HST. More info here.
- EdTech Mixed Plate - hosted by HSTE Members - Michael, Michelle, Megan, and Rachel - every Sunday night at 8PM. Each episode they share EdTech and Personal Learning Resources. Check the website for archives, upcoming topics, and the calendar of events.
- GEG (Google Educators Group) Hawaii Weekly Training Hangouts - Every Monday and Wednesday from 7pm-8pm HST, watch the Google+ LIVE Hangout and participate in a variety of Google Apps for Education and Education related trainings. Ask questions and participate in the discussion! Google+ Community Link and Calendar
ISTE Conference in a few days!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email anytime.